Is your home’s exterior in need of a little pick-me-up? Or is the exterior paint starting to chip? (I won’t lie, this is the case at my house!) A fresh coat of paint can do the trick! But how do you choose just the right colors? Here are several ideas to help you get started and make the first impression of your home GREAT:
– Nice & Neutral – This is for sure the “safest” approach but also promises a pleasing result (for you and your neighbors). Select a light, neutral shade for the body of your house, then paint around the trim white. White looks clean & fresh, and helps reflect more light indoors.
(I personally am having my house painted soon – once the weather cooperates – and plan on doing a darker grey with white trim. I promise to blog before & after pictures once this has been done!)
– Honor History – If you’re planning to paint an older home, you may want to use a historically-accurate color scheme.
– Borrow from the Neighbors – While you don’t want to fade into the background by choosing the exact same colors as your neighbors, you may want to pick colors that are complementary and do not class with their paint scheme. It is also a good idea to drive around and see what colors you like on other homes.
– Borrow from Mother Nature – Pull colors from your garden to use for your homes’s exterior paint.
– Go with what you’ve got – Just had a roof installed? Have features that won’t be painted? Select shades that go with your home’s existing features.
How did you pick the colors for your home?