It’s been a very cold winter and electric bills are high. Here are some great tips from American Home Shield for keeping your bills low.
10 Tricks to Help You Slash Your Electric Bill
If you’re looking for ways to help you save more and spend less, one of the best places to start could be right at home. Put these tips to work to help cut your next electric bill.
10. Install Motion Detectors on Lights. Kids are notorious for leaving lights on by accident. This easy trick can help you say goodbye to wasted electricity—and high bills.
9. Wash Clothes in Cold Water: Since most of the energy used by top-loading washers is to heat water, washing in cold can help you save each month.
8. Tint Home Windows: For windows that get a lot of sun, you can add a layer of solar window film to deflect sunlight and conserve energy.
7. Program Your Thermostat: Simply set it to raise or lower your thermostat for the times when you’re not at home.
6. Unplug Appliances: Even when they’re not in use your toaster, laptop and can opener drain power. So unplug them and save.
5. Wash Your Lint Trap: Since dryer sheets can cause a transparent film that burns out the heating unit, it’s vital to wash your lint trap with hot, soapy water every 6 months.
4. Change Your Showerhead: Replacing it with a low-flow head can use less water per minute – so there’s less to heat.
3. Cook on the Back Burner: By turning on your exhaust fan and using the rear burner on hot days, warm air will be sucked out, which minimizes AC use.
2. Change Your Lightbulbs: Compact florescent bulbs use a quarter the electricity and last longer than regular bulbs. And, they’re the environmentally responsible choice.
1. Check Furniture Placement: Rugs or furniture that block a vent can really cost you. Move them and save!