When I first started in Real Estate, I went to a few classes about mold. They showed us pictures & told us what to look for. Thanks to bad allergies, I also can usually “sniff out” mold in a house as well. BUT, that’s only if there is a really bad case.
Yesterday Dog Gone Mold came to visit us with Mason, the mold sniffing dog! Here are a few of the things I learned:
* Do NOT use bleach to get rid of Mold. It can be toxic, especially if applied after a cleaning product containing ammonia.
* Soon the government may require mold inspections on certain loans.
* A mold inspection only cost $200 (talk to me and I can get you a deal for only $100!!) and can save you lots of money in potential repairs!
* A mold inspection only takes about 20-30 minutes and includes the entire home, including the attic. After the inspector searches the property, he takes Mason (the mold sniffing dog) around to find areas that are out of sight (ex. behind cabinets, walls, etc). Mason, however, does not go in the attic!
* Dog Gone Mold is also a mold remediation company. It’s a many step process, but insures the mold spurs will NOT grow. (contain the area. Mold spores can become airborne very quickly. Bring in a commercial air scrubber. HEPA vacuum it, mist it, remove, bag, seal. HEPA vacuum, treat, seal, treat, contain.)
* We are all exposed to mold spores, however, if they don’t have a water source, they will not grow.
* Mold can be dormant for years.
* Even a new home should be tested for mold.